Last modified 2022-11-15.
Time to read: 2 minutes.
Making a Video
The following steps have been carefully ordered for optimum results. No-one said that this would be easy!
- Sometimes the Avid Eucon software on the PC goes crazy, uses lots of CPU, and must be restarted. If an iPad or Android device is to be used to control Pro Tools, check the Windows CPU load (Ctrl-Shift-Esc) to ensure that the EuCon software is behaving. Do this before starting Pro Tools.
For best results:
- Shut down Thunderbird.
- Shut down all web browsers.
- Exit Facebook Messenger.
- Start Pro Tools. Do this now because it takes so long.
- Display TotalMix.
- Speakers should be off in RME TotalMix.
- Launch MusicBee and select the playlist, if required.
- Start OBS Studio.
Verify the OBS Studio output directory is set to one of the following:
E:\media\YouTube Meta Music Channel
- During daylight, close the curtains or the video will not be lit correctly.
- Turn on at least 3 LED lights (2 in front, 1 in back) and turn on the overhead light in the front room. Turn off the overhead light in the back room.
- Load or create the song being worked on in Pro Tools.
- Check audio levels in RME TotalMix for each microphone that will be used with the RME UFX. If any inputs go through the Behringer ADA8200, look at the physical unit as well as TotalMix to verify the levels are ok.
- If Pro Tools is not being used, disconnect the Sony A7iii mic jack from the audio mix from Pro Tools, so the built-in A7iii mic array is used. This microphone array is really good. Otherwise, connect the camera to the audio mix by pluging in the 1/8" connector from the RME UFX Analog 7/8 output. The audio mix for the camera is provided on RME Analog output 7/8.
- If a mobile device is to be used as a Pro Tools Eucon device, or a TotalMix Remote device, start those apps on the mobile device(s) now.
- Turn on the camera. The Sony A7iii is normally attached to the video splitter and then the Cam Link 4K, as well as the 1080p monitor.
- Record arm any Pro Tools tracks that provide effects for the talent to hear.
- 3 headphones are set up. Headphone 3 is on RME Analog output 5/6. Ensure levels are good for the headphones in use. Take care to either adjust the mix in Pro Tools or by adding in the live mix from the channels of interest in TotalMix.
- Check the submix sent to the camera on RME output Analog 7/8. Even better, copy the submix for Analog 7/8 from another output that sounds right.
- Focus the camera on where the talent will be located.
- Start OBS Studio recording and / or camera recording and / or Pro Tools recording. This is much harder than it seems.
|Pro Tools AAX plugins|
|Ableton Live data|
|My original recordings|
|Original Pro Tools recordings|
|Unprocessed video and thumbnails|
|Templates and settings|
|64 bit VSTs|
|32 bit VSTs|
|Pro Tools settings|
|Music Software (installable programs)|
|Native Instruments products; VSTs are in subdirectories |
|Pro Tools docs and software, including 3rd party plugins|
- I have one Radial Pro direct box (passive). I am unsure whether to plug the acoustic guitars into the direct box, or directly into the RME UFX or the Behringer ADA8200.
- DPA spec and order cables.